Universal Credit

Universal Credit went live in West Dunbartonshire on 28 November 2019. A brief outline of Universal Credit is given below.  For further, up to date information please go to www.gov.uk/universal-credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal credit is a means-tested benefit for working-age people who are in or out of work.  It is being phased in to replace the following six existing benefits with one single payment:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit

If you make a new claim for any of the above benefits, or if you are currently receiving any of these benefits and have a change of circumstances, you will be transferred to Universal Credit.  Applications for Universal Credit are made online.

Payment of Your Rent

If you are a tenant and qualify for Universal Credit, the amount of money you receive may include an amount towards housing costs which you should use to pay your rent to Trafalgar Housing Association.

If you haven’t paid rent before because you were getting full Housing Benefit paid directly to Trafalgar Housing Association, you will have to pay your rent from the Universal Credit you receive.

What Should I Do If I Claim Universal Credit?

As soon as you know that you will have to apply for Universal Credit, you should contact the Housing Management Team at Trafalgar Housing Association to make arrangements to pay your rent.  They will provide information you need to submit as part of your claim for Universal Credit.  They will also give advice and assistance if required.