Skip to Main Content


Universal Credit was introduced in West Dunbartonshire in March 2015.  At present, only single, working age people can claim Universal Credit but it will be extended to couples and families in the near future.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP). 

It is a new benefit for working age people who are in or out of work and replaces six existing benefits with a single, monthly payment paid direct to one named person in a household.  Universal Credit replaces the following benefits and tax credits: Income-based Jobseekers Allowance; Income Support; Income-related Employment and Support Allowance; Working Tax Credit; Child Tax Credit; Housing Benefit.

Payment of Your Rent

If you are a tenant and qualify for Universal Credit, the amount of money you receive monthly from the DWP will include Housing Costs which you must use to pay your rent to Trafalgar Housing Association.

If you haven’t paid rent before because you were getting full Housing Benefit paid directly to Trafalgar Housing Association, you will have to pay your rent from the Universal Credit you receive.

What Should I do if I Claim Universal Credit?

As soon as you know that you will have to apply for Universal Credit, you should contact Margaret or Angela at Trafalgar Housing Association to make arrangements to pay your rent.  They will also give you the information you need to submit to the DWP as part of your claim for Universal Credit.